Society in Focus An Introduction to Sociology 8th Edition by William E. Thompson
by William E. Thompson (Author), Joseph V. Hickey (Author), Mica L. Thompson (Author)
Publisher : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers; Eighth edition (April 20, 2016)
Examining the role of mass media and information technology in contemporary society, Society In Focus, Eight Edition, emphasizes the increasing diversity and globalization of societies everywhere. It is designed to help students think clearly and critically about sociological issues, concepts, and methods. Questioning is at the heart of this approach, and as students read this book they are encouraged to become part of the sociological enterprise—rather than remain passive observers. Every element of the text is designed to challenge students to evaluate social issues and, guided by the sociological imagination, to clearly formulate their own positions. By asking questions that demand sociological and creative thought, students are reminded that their conclusions and decisions, as well as their non-decisions and inaction, may have important social consequences.
New to this edition:
• New coauthor Mica Thompson, an experienced teacher of introduction to sociology, brings a fresh new perspective as well as a wide array of different life experiences to this edition of Society in Focus.
• An expanded critical analysis in Chapter 1 introduces all forms of media and technology, and every chapter examines an aspect of their powerful social influence.
• Chapters 9, 16, and 17 have been updated to include the most recent worldwide financial and economic developments, to help explain globalization and cultural diversity.
• Expanded application of feminist theory in every chapter to help students recognize the importance of gender diversity and the contributions of that theoretical perspective in sociology.
• Updated and brand new boxes throughout encourage students to take a closer look at society and selected social issues.